HMRC mileage tax rebate

You can claim for Work Mileage Tax Allowance on the vehicles you use for work. This includes cars, vans, motorcycles and bicycles used for work.

Please note that this does not include travelling to and from your work unless it’s a temporary place of work.

How much you are eligible to claim is based on two factors:

  • A vehicle that you have purchased or leased with your own money.
  • A company vehicle that is owned or leased by your employer.

Using your own vehicle for work

If you use your own vehicle(s) for work, you may be able to claim tax relief on the approved mileage rate. This covers the cost of owning and running your vehicle. You cannot claim separately for things like:

  • fuel
  • electricity
  • road tax
  • MOTs
  • repairs

To work out how much you can claim for each tax year you’ll need to:

  • keep records of the dates and mileage or your work journeys
  • add up the mileage for each vehicle type you’ve used for work
  • take away any amount your employer pays you towards your costs, (sometimes called a ‘mileage allowance’)

You can find a list of the approved mileage rates here.

Using a company car

You can claim tax relief on the money you’ve spent on fuel and electricity, for business trips in your company car. Keep records to show the actual cost of the fuel.

If your employer reimburses some of the money, you can claim relief on the difference.

Check out our online calculator here to see how much you could claim for Work Mileage Allowance.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.